Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Are Chickens Carnivorous?


When talking about third world countries, we as Westerners used to use words like “backwards” and “uncivilized” to describe the conditions we’d find there. Ethiopia is neither uncivilized nor backwards, and I am grateful that these derogatory terms are no longer politically correct nor used to describe countries as majestic and noble as Ethiopia. However, Ethiopian culture is still very different than our own, and in two cultures so different, there are bound to be instances where our two cultures have almost opposing customs, viewpoints, or traditions that probably spurred the whole faulty notion of “backwards” in the first place. Here are some of my favorite of those instances.

"Finger Food"
In America, we have a very dignified table presence. We eat with utensils, have appropriate dinner conversation topics, protect our plate from the intrusion of others, frown upon those who don’t have their elbows in the right spot, and are mortified if you happen to need to say something important while your mouth is full. One of my favorite things about Ethiopia is that most of that is thrown out! You eat almost exclusively with your hands, are expected to share your food with anyone who walks by (even strangers), can keep your elbows wherever you like, and say what comes to your mind whether your mouth is empty or so full of injera that all that comes out is a muffled “ghdsfalufdsaufhierwiaofji”. Ironically, one of the only table manners we have in common is that it’s still rude to lick your fingers, even though in this country you always eat with them. While I do like this style of eating, partially because I already dislike most table manners in the states, it’s mostly the intimacy this eating style brings you that makes me so happy. Sharing food is a pretty awesome way of both getting to know someone and showing those you know how much you care about them. A piece of food to the face every once in a while is a pretty small price to pay for that bond.

“Hey bro. Wanna go play soccer and then listen to some Celine Dion?”
Another interesting and sometimes hilarious difference between our cultures is the differences in gender roles. America has a pretty descriptive picture of the ideal man. He’s tall, handsome, strong, excels at sport, and has wicked charm to match. Every guy strives to fit this image for at least some period in their life (I gave up once I realized the only one I’d be was tall and handsome), and most fail because these qualities are generally out of our control. But we do adhere strongly to those behavioral things that make us more “manly” and scorn those that do not, especially when it comes to music. Here in Ethiopia, no such scorn exists when it comes to music. Ask any guy who their favorite singers are, and they will tell you Celine Dion, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, and numerous other artists that most guys in the states wouldn’t be caught dead jammin out to. There’s nothing quite so entertaining as a group of grown Ethiopian men singing “I Will Always Love You” as they’re walking down the street.

"Women of Steel"
On a closely related note, guys aren’t the only ones with some gender role differences. While I was growing up, I was taught to always treat a woman like a lady. We are to hold the door open for them, walk closer to the street, and always carry the heavy stuff. I won’t get into the debate about whether this is chivalry or chauvinism, but either way the expectation often exists. Here, it doesn’t. The women do just as much of the heavy lifting as the guys, walk wherever they want, and the concept of door holding does not exist. I’ve met some tough old women here who will offer to help me carry my stuff whether they are 5 or 80, and it’s pretty cool.

"The Chicken vs. The Cat"
Even the animals get in on the action! The other day I walked out of my house to see why our cat was mewing so pitifully. There he was in the middle of the compound crying pitifully watching one of the chickens. Upon further inspection, I was surprised to find that the chicken had somehow stolen a large bone the cat had been eating meat off of… And he was eating it instead! Honestly, I don’t blame the cat too much for being scared. The chickens on my compound are some crazy crossbreed between the local scrawny domestic chicken and a wild prairie hen and those things are beasts!

Those are just a few differences between our two worlds, but they’re enough to make me love this place so much I’m sticking it out for these two long years. Who knows what other cultural differences I’ll keep discovering!

No comments:

Post a Comment